Thursday, December 9, 2010

Work and Play

Thus far, my experience has once again gone against my expectations. This is not necessarily a negative point, and in my current case, it is actually positive! I have seen many unique places in and around Jaco that the usual tourist wouldn't ever imagine. For this reason, I consider myself lucky, especially to be a photographer. Each new destination is like a blank slate for my artistic mind to wonder and explore new potentials as well as challenge unknown perspectives. 

Yesterday, all of the School of the World students went on a trip to a Crocodile Tour on one of the biggest rivers in Costa Rica. We saw countless crocs as well as Osama Bin Laden (the largest crocodile on record in the river). One of the tour guides fed a few of the crocodiles and was extremely daring. We also saw many beautiful and colorful Costa Rican birds. 

After, we had a photography lesson in which we explored Photoshop. Carlos, our instructor, informed us that all photographers use photoshop. Since then, I have been looking through magazines and websites of famous photographers to learn that this is true. Even film photographers learn how to edit their photos in the darkroom during development. 

Spanish class yesterday was great and I learn something new every day, including confidence. After class, I went with all of the surf students to the beach to photograph their lesson. I have never seen such a beautiful sunset.

Last night, a few of the girls went out with some instructors from the school to a cool bar called Back Yard. There was an interesting mixture of people from the United States and Costa Rica. It was "Ladies Night," meaning that women drink for free. Nonetheless, I did not take advantage (or disadvantage) of this, and only had one drink (it tasted like water). 

After a late night, I was fortunate to be able to sleep until 10:30. I had three hours of Spanish class in the morning, followed by a great Photography class. We went to a unique surf shop that customizes surf boards. We then went to two great lookout points.

Enjoy some more photographs!



























1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love your pictures! Today I was doing the same thing in Cambridge- practicing my photography skills (with my new camera) on my kiddos.

    Love you!
    -J

    ReplyDelete