Monday, December 27, 2010

"Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day..."

"Home, Home again..." The lyrics of Time, by Pink Floyd, perfectly describes my current emotions and way of being. My perception of time is broken up into weeks, and either passes quickly or slowly, depending on my attitude and appreciation for the work I am doing.

What does this have to do with anything? Everything. I spent three weeks in Jaco, Costa Rica. I felt as if I was there for two days. A lot happened and changed over those few weeks, literally and philosophically, but it went quicker than I ever expected.

I have not become a psychic, but I know what you are wondering...What changed? What did you learn?

After letting my experience settle for a whole day, I have recognized a few things in myself. I went from loving to be by myself before I traveled to New Zealand, to loving to constantly be with others, to having to learn to be alone when I returned home after three months of travel Down Under, to finding a balance of alone and friend time.

Lesson one: Balance.

The second, and so far final thoughts that have been racing around in my mind is the whole idea of pura vida. I know I have already written about its significance and meaning, but it has really become something vital to my philosophies on life. If you live your life doing what makes you happy, and are not too concerned with minute issues, you will live a uniquely happy life. I want to do what I love in my life, otherwise all I will think about are my regrets. Have no regrets. I do not want to walk around being paranoid all the time, like most people from the United States are, so I will no longer have this constant paranoia that everyone is out to get me. I will be aware of my surroundings and wise about my actions, but not paranoid.

Lesson two: Pura Vida.

Now for the less serious business...

Costa Rica was AWESOME!!! I would recommend the School of the World to just about anyone...well anyone that is interested in learning Spanish, Surfing, Photography, or Yoga. I met a lot of amazing and unique people there from diverse backgrounds. The locals in Jaco were also extremely friendly and fun to hang out with. I was warned that Jaco is not the best place in Costa Rica to visit, but I was pleasantly surprised. I felt very safe in the city. It's one of those places that people will talk and whistle, but nobody will touch you. I really hope to go back to Escuela Del Mundo again very soon! It was an awesome place to live and learn.

What's next on the agenda? I am home for a few days...yesterday was Brett's birthday...and then New Years! I am going to Connecticut, as tradition may tell, to celebrate New Years with my camp friends. After, the family and I are going to Florida for a few days, and while we are there, it is my dad's birthday! I can't wait to give him his awesome gift :) And then...Brazil for two months! I am nervous and excited for what is in store for me in the next two weeks, and then two months!

In the mean time...here are some photos to enjoy from facebook! These photos are from the activities I did, and friends I made!

Click Here To See!


And here is my Photography: Here!




Chao!

1 comment:

  1. Your photography is sooo amazing. I'm not over it yet! I will send you mine...aka me just fooling around with my new camera :)

    ReplyDelete