Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Pura Vida

Pura vida. These two words, although not meaningful to many, are the single most important to the people of Costa Rica. We all know I am not Costa Rican, but three weeks of exposure to this "Pura vida" lifestyle definitely has got me thinking about my lifestyle in general. Not my past, but my present and future. After three years of growing passion for photography, I finally was able to take a class to help me pursue my passion. 

My first question: Why did it take me three years to further explore photography? I have managed to do many things in leu of a photography class such as become an EMT, volunteer in various locations locally and globally, and study in New York. Although I often attempt to combine my passion for taking photographs with my other ambitions, I never took the time to learn how a camera works. 

My second question: Why am I so passionate about something so simple, but yet complex, as taking photographs? I have discovered that photographing the simplicity that exists in nature amuses me. Photographing something as minute as a bird excites me and makes my mind wonder...what is this birds story? My mind is constantly changing situations around me into photographs. Some may consider this crazy, but others consider it the mind of an artist. 

My third and final question: What am I going to do about this? I have often been asked if I am going to pursue photography as a career. I always respond with a simple, no. It is a very difficult decision to take a passion and change it into a career because that passion will often become a chore. I am not making an irrational decision, and I may change my mind a thousand more times, but I have finally changed my mind. I want to pursue photography as a career. I keep attempting to find other interests, and although I do have other interests such as in teaching and the environment and hiking, none of these interests can even compare to photography. 

So finally and proudly, I am announcing that I want to be a photographer. I want to study the history of photography as well as different types of photography such as film and digital. My decision is a bit flawed though. Franklin and Marshall does not have photography as a major, and offers minimal classes. I still have not figured out a solution to this, but I will continue to think of options. 

I need to live my life similar to those in Costa Rica...and pursue my passion in life. 

Pura Vida.

No comments:

Post a Comment