Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"Oh, Mexico. It sounds so sweet with the sun sinking low."

James Taylor's words of wisdom in his song Mexico is applicable to two categories involving Mexico. The first is the landscape and natural environment in Mexico. Of course, I have not been to Mexico in about six years, and I am not there now (just to clarify). The second is food. Mexican food is on my top three for favorite genres of food.

Because of the reasons listed above, I only felt it appropriate to cook for myself, two nights of delicious Mexican cuisine. On Tuesday evening, after a short day at work (an hour and a half to be exact, but it was a lot of fun...I learned how to make a Weta Hotel, for Giant Tree Weta, huge insects that have become a rarity within the New Zealand bush, and helped kids to make their own hotels) I went to the grocery store. The walk back was enough to make me want to cry...I had five bags filled to the brim with food because I had not gone to the store in a week and a half. I got back home and relaxed on the couch for a bit to overcome the overwhelming feeling combined with a bad cold that I was experiencing.

After recuperating for a while, I gained the energy to dice up my fresh vegetables, and experiment. I attempted to make fajitas. If I must say so myself, I did a kick ass job!

Last night, Wednesday, after a relaxing day of hanging out and trying to get better (no, I did not go to work), I found myself inspired by the show Master Chef Australia to make Quesadillas. The inside was filled with Mozzarella Cheese, onions, peppers, and salsa! It was again, a great success! I should become a famous cook...Kidding...Sort of?

Yesterday, I also managed to drag myself in the pouring rain, the kind of rain that smacks you in the face as you walk even though you are wearing a raincoat, to run some errands. I went to the book store to see if they had The Art of RACING In The Rain...and surprise, surprise, they did! Then I went to mail a letter, and must have been delusional because I forgot to put the "Air Mail" stamp on it...sorry Mom and Dad..it might take a month to get to you! Better late then never though. My excursion ended at the pharmacy. I got some Dayquill to help me make it through the rest of the week. I was so tired and cranky that I took the bus a whole three minutes back home.

Today when I woke up, it was still raining as hard as could be (I guess it is making up for the past week and a half of crystal clear skies). I still felt horrible from this cold of mine, and did not want to go to work. After thinking it over (and asking Dad), I decided to go in for the quick hour and a half of work that I had. Today, I learned how to weave a flower out of a native New Zealand plant, flex. It was a lot of fun, and the group of kids today was great!

In other news (literally), I just heard that there was a head on collision of two trains in the Wellington area. It happened to be the train that I was on the other day. It was because of a slip from all of the rain. I was so happy that I had taken the train trip already, because I would definitely not have gone after I heard that!

More cooking adventures to come!

2 comments:

  1. Hello my kick ass chef. When you come home, I don't want to hear "I don't know what to eat", you can cook for all of us now!!! Maybe submit a request to be on Iron Chef and kick his ass!
    Glad you are learning many different things and enjoying the kids. Can't wait to read the next adventure of "Where in the world is Rachel", haha...
    Love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh chef of the future, you can cook for me anytime.....Just no hot sauce for this mamma! Keep the stories coming....I love them......

    ReplyDelete