Monday, September 27, 2010

This Train?

It was the most beautiful beach I had ever seen. The soft sand under my feet was dampened with the salt of the ocean. The sky was as clear as could be. And for the scenery surrounding the crystal clear sea, I couldn't have asked for anything better. It was well worth the three hour travel adventures to finally make it to Paraparaumu Beach. When we first got off of the train in Paraparaumu, Jeni and I were a bit nervous because all we saw was the normal New Zealand store scenery of KFC and The Warehouse ("Where everyone gets a bargin"). After thinking for a moment, we got onto a bus that said "Beach." We rode the bus to the end of the line, and still no beach. The bus driver was kind enough to mention that we had missed our stop, after the point, but allowed us to get back on in ten minutes, for free, to get to the beach. We walked around a nice street for those ten minutes to get a snack to last us until dinner. The Pringles were gone in an instant, but worth the $5.90. Upon our arrival at the beach, we walked around to look for a place for a better snack, but every single restaurant was closed. Can you believe that? It was four in the afternoon, and every restaurant in this beach town was closed on a school holiday! We finally gave up on our food search, and went onto the beach to take some photographs and explore more. There are pictures to come on Facebook at a later date! One thing we saw that was so adorable was the cutest puppy I have ever seen (excluding Bojangles and Latka) chasing a little girl. He was so cute and even came over to Jeni and myself to say hello!

Our day started in Wellington. When Jeni and I left the apartment at 10:30, we were thrilled at the near perfect weather. We walked to Cuba Street for an awesome chocolate chip pancake brunch at Espressoholic. It was better then I could have possibly imagined. Our stomachs were way too full to walk to the Wellington Rail Station, so we caught the bus. When we arrived, we had no idea where to go. We went to the Customer Service desk, and the woman told us exactly where to go, and the cheap Day Rover ticket to purchase. We got on our first train to Johnsonville. We were so excited when we got off the train, but the Johnsonville was not excited to see us. The Johnsonville Shopping Center greeted us upon arrival. From the instant we got off the train, we had a hunch that we should not be there. We walked around the street to make sure we were right about our gut feelings, and we were. We went into the one Souvenir shop on the one block town, and I asked stupidly, "Is there anything to do in Jacksonville?" First of all, we are not in Jacksonville. Second of all, there is nothing to do in Johnsonville. We walked out of the store, and headed back towards the train station to find a bus to somewhere more excited. We managed to meet some very strange and sketchy people along the way, and I don't think that more needs to be said about that.

When we finally arrived back at the train station, we caught a bus to Porirua, so we could take the train to Paraparuma. On the bus ride, we drove past some amazing farm land and mountains, and my personal favorite, Pirates Cove Adventure Golf. This was not the Pirates Cove I know, but I guess it will do for New Zealand. While I am on this tangent of Cape Cod-like things I saw today, in Paraparumu Beach, they had a restaurant called the Beachcomber! Anyway, the train ride was amazing. Most of it was along the ocean, surrounded by mountains on both sides. It was totally worth the struggles in Johnsonville. I was also thrilled because I managed to see my first New Zealand sheep! Trust me, I saw enough sheep today to last me a lifetime!

Yesterday was another great day! We all went to the Italian Festival at the Westpac Stadium in Wellington. Although it was way over crowded, they had great food, and I even got a sweet shirt! My Italian day was completed with my ravioli dinner, but don't worry, all I had to do was throw it in boiling water. It was delicious with my special spicy tomato sauce.

Tomorrow should be another great day! I am headed back to Zealandia for the next two weeks of interning. I will be working with their education department, helping to run their school holiday programs. Since my days will be shorter, I have made plans for myself! After work tomorrow, I am going to go to Borders to try to find The Art of Dancing in the Rain. So far, I have struck out at two book stores! Hopefully, third times a charm. After, I am going to the post office to mail a letter to my parents from my kids at Clyde Quay School and myself! Then I am going to the grocery store for some food to make for dinner. Later in the evening, we are going to the movies to see Despicable Me!

More exciting adventures to come!

P.S. Watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition...it is enough to make you want to cry!

2 comments:

  1. Well, sounds like a true adventure. When you got off in sketchy land, was it getting dark and foggy? Did the music get louder in the background? Great story and sounds like a fun day, for most of it anyway! At the italian festival, did they have Zeppoles?
    Enjoy the movies!
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you take pictures at the "sketchy" place......if so, don't post them.....I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!!! In this case ignorance is bliss for this mother.....On the other hand, can't wait to see the pictures of the ocean.....Sounds like a great day! L/ mom

    ReplyDelete