Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Hard Day's Day And I've Been Working Like a Dog!

There is nothing better then a hot shower after a long day in the cold, wet, and windy New Zealand Bush! Today I started my internship at a wildlife sanctuary called Zealandia...I recommend you look it up it is SO COOL!!!! (www.visitzealandia.com)I had an early start this morning, earlier then I will have in the many days to come. It started with a lot of tossing and turning at about 5:30 AM, followed by a great morning text message from my Dad ten minutes later. I finally got out of bed at 6:30, got geared up in my warm hiking clothes, and made myself a nutritious breakfast while watching the news. I also had a special treat this morning and was driven to work by Angela, who set me up with the internship and apartment! She helped me figure out where the bus is so I can get to work tomorrow!

When I finally got to the sanctuary, I went with Richard, a man who works there, and we went on a nice ATV ride along the trails that just barely fit the bike. I loved every second of it. We went around to different places throughout the sanctuary and put food out for some of the Kakariki birds (http://www.tiritirimatangi.org.nz/Fauna/Kakariki.htm).

After a few hours of that, I went off with a volunteer who has been with Zealandia for three years, volunteering once a week. We took a nice three hour hike deep into the steep and beautifully vegetated woods. We went off of the trails into the pathless woods to find Kaka (http://www.birdingnz.co.nz/directory.php?op=42). I only slipped on mud twice, but I did it with grace. One of the nests has chicks in it, which was amazing to see! Once we spotted the mother Kaka fly away from the nest, we quickly ran from our camouflaged spot behind some tree branches, and opened the door to the man-made wooden nest.

http://www.visitzealandia.com/Site/Zealandia_Home/Inside/News/Media_Release_2010/kaka_chick.aspx
Aren't they precious!!!

A great few hours and a brainful of new knowledge later, I met up with Matt to inspect the fences that go twelve miles around the perimeter of the sanctuary. The  truck ride was very bumpy, but was well worth slight nausea for a great conversation and spectacular views of Zealandia as well as Wellington.

I am officially happy to say that I cannot wait for the adventures to come tomorrow!!

4 comments:

  1. Great start to the internship.......can't wait to see pictures........xoxox. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like your having a blast, miss you tons and can't wait to keep following :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! Can't wait to hear about day 2...Sarah Rubenstein was born this morning :) -Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, you are at Zoolander meets Jurasic Park with babbling kakas and riding ATV's, hmmm sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete