Friday, January 14, 2011

Step By Step

I started off in New Zealand, possessed by anxiety, nervousness, excitement, and every other emotion possible. Knowing that my mixed emotions were normal helped me settle into my new environment with little hesitation. The tranquil environment in Wellington was soothing. I was also able to overcome the difficulties with my first internship at Zealandia, and create a compromise with Zealandia, Angela (the woman who runs Live New Zealand), and myself. Despite this minute hardship, my overall experience was incredible with little social difficulties and a lot of travel. The comfort and security of New Zealand helped me to establish myself and prepare for the next few months of traveling. So, what was the most difficult part of my trip to New Zealand? Leaving.

After New Zealand came Australia. The chaos and melancholy of my departure from the previous country left me no time to encounter emotions about this new place. My first week was interesting. Overtired, New Zealand-sick, and sweaty, I was what one could call a wreck. After re-arranging my flight so I would be in Australia for three weeks instead of four, I felt as if a brick was taken off of my shoulder. I acknowledged the fact that I needed to explore my past experiences, but also be there (in Australia) now. My quick shift in attitude was welcomed by my peers and rewarded with their friendship. The work was physically draining and often boring, but the new bonds I had made with my co-volunteers helped to lighten the mood. Newcastle became a place where I felt comfortable and safe. So, what was the most difficult part of my trip to Australia? Leaving.

Moving from English speaking nations to Costa Rica was nerve-racking and exciting. Learning and practicing photography and Spanish in a new place seemed ideal to me. After all, I had traveled to the other side of the world and made it back in one piece with stories ranging from scary to exciting. I had experienced it all. Wrong. Upon my arrival to Jaco, I was alone and afraid. My research on the surfer town made me uneasy. Theft. Drugs. Prostitution. Wrong. After experiencing Jaco and realizing the implications of my predetermined judgement on the town, Jaco became my home. I felt as if everyone was family. Nobody would ever touch me or steal from me, and if someone tried, I knew another person walking down the street would be there to help. Drugs and prostitution only existed in certain clubs, and I knew the places I should not go. Gaining my wits and strengthening my knowledge of Spanish was extremely helpful in becoming safe and comfortable in my environment. I made friends that I will stay in contact with for the years to come. So, what was the most difficult part of my trip to Costa Rica? Leaving.

Here I am in Brazil. Four months later. I no longer struggled when I first arrived. The group of volunteers became friends instantly. When I first arrived, I had a different struggle. On the drive from the airport to the volunteer house, I realized that Salvador is entirely different than any of the places I had been before. Many think of Salvador as a city of poverty, but I have come to know it as a true example of the world. The city's small middle-class is juxtaposed to the impoverished majority. My one and a half hour taxi ride through the favelas (shanty-towns) yesterday was eye-opening and frightening. People live without windows and doors. They struggle on the streets to get food. Attempt to sell bracelets made in China on the beach to make money to have water for their children. In some cases, people will steal in any way possible in order to survive. I have seen poverty before, but was never able to empathize with it in the way I do now. The reason? Because the children I play with each day in the orphanage make such an impression on me? Or maybe because I have seen so many different cultures and lifestyles in the past few months that I am starting to get a true sense of globalization, or the lack thereof.

Yesterday, I Walked through the streets of the lower city for Lavagen do Bonfin (a religious festival in Salvador) amongst the diverse people of Salvador as a tourist. I hope to leave in six weeks as someone who is proud to have lived in Salvador for two months. So, what will be the hardest part of my trip to Brazil? Leaving.

In other news, I created my first photography website! I spent a lot of time on it, so please look at it carefully! As an artist, I would appreciate criticism, both positive and negative so that I can improve my work and the website. The site is an ongoing process and will continue to get new photographs, so please check back once in a while. Also, I would appreciate it if you could mass email or text the web address to anyone and everyone! The more people that know about me, the better my chances are of gaining opportunities in the field of photography! And most importantly, enjoy the photographs (click on the link below)!

Rachel Hartman Photography





4 comments:

  1. This is just unbelievable......reading it I have a real sense of all that you have been through this past year, and how much you have grown........you have become a strong, independent, self assured young adult and seem wise beyond your years..........with much love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter,
    this posting was very well thought out and even I saw the theme about each visit, the hardest part is leaving!! Ha Ha!! As you have learned, although leaving places we get comfortable with is difficult, it opens up new opportunities to grow. The pictures at the orphanage are cool, I love the last one, all smiles.
    Finally, as a parent, you know what the hardest part is, when the kids are leaving!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel,
    I just read this and cried (I mean. I cry at lots of things. but still.) You're a year older than I am, and since the moment I met you you've seemed grown up to me...but I as I read this and I look at the photos taken of you and the photos you've taken over the last year (and few months especially), and I can't help but notice how much MORE you've grown up since I met you and since I saw you last. I look at you and see the camp counselors I admired so much when I was 12 and went to summer camp...and I see the kids that were seniors when I was a freshman, who all seemed so old and experienced, and self-aware...and then I see that girl who I met in my dorm room two Augusts ago...and I realize that you are all of those things. I'm so happy and proud to know you, Rach. You deserve every good thing that comes to you this year and every single year that follows it. You are a phenomenal person, and I hope you know that. It's so nice to see you happy and fulfilled and in your own.
    abrazos y felicidades desde los estados,
    Szper
    p.s. did they call you RaquƩl for real in Costa Rica???

    ReplyDelete