Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Aren't Watercolors Supposed To Be Serene?

Words cannot even begin to explain today. The only adjective that I can think of that comes close to explaining this morning is: chaotic.

Like every morning, I prepared a bag of toys and art supplies to entertain the children at the orphanage. Like every morning, I got in the van and was on my way. Unlike every morning, when Eric and I walked in, everyone was awake. I immediately thought to myself that it must have been a rough morning. Usually, half of the kids are either still sleeping or showering.

The older boys, ages 10-12, automatically started questioning me for my iPod to fulfill their obsession with 50 Cent. I know how much all of the caretakers despise the music, so I told them we could listen later. After only thirty minutes of restlessness, the watercolors came out. It started off as a nice art session with two young girls, and turned into twenty five children with paint on their faces, smudged by tears.

"Nao bata! Nao bata! No hitting! No hitting!" I felt like a broken record. Boys throwing paint brushes at the girls. Girls painting each others bodies. Babies trying to eat the paintbrushes. Eric and I running around in attempt to take away all of the supplies.

After way too much time of this nonsense, one of the caretakers finally had it. There was peace. Quiet. Silent tears. I could finally breath again.

The older children, who are clearly role models for the younger ones, were taken outside for a talk from one of the women. They came back, and despite their serious conversation, were still uncontrollable. Then all of the children, with the exception of the babies, were told to sit at the table with their heads down. Some were sent to their rooms.

Although most of this morning was a blur, I cannot help but sympathize for these children. They are so young and hardly leave the orphanage. If I were one of them, I would be going crazy too. This week has been very difficult with Eric and myself being the only two volunteers there. Next week, we are getting one more person which will be fantastic. I want to be able to bring fun things for the kids to play and learn with, but they are never able to get it together just enough to make me want to bring them new toys and games. It is impossible to get them to sit down together and explain a game to them. Or to even color and draw in peace. Or to even eat without hitting the person next to them with a spoon. Volunteering at the orphanage has been one of the most challenging experiences not only this year, but in my life. There is so much I want to teach and show these kids, but I am starting to realize that if I help one child, I am making a difference.

Zaqueu, the little boy I previously wrote about, has been making huge strides in identifying nature. He is beginning to point to plants on his own. Look at the clouds. Play in the rain (until he gets yelled at). Today, he watched raindrops fall from the roof for about ten minutes. He is not able to speak yet, but his wide eyes and teeth-baring grin tell me everything I need to know. He is amazed with nature.

Now for the other updates! Last weekend was very relaxing. Saturday was a well needed hang out day in Salvador. On Sunday, Mary, Eric and I took an Island Tour. We were on a party boat with local music and dancing for a few hours to reach each islands. The first island was small and beautiful, with not much to do. The other island, Itaparica was amazing. We had a great lunch and then went on a bus tour. Although we were sure the bus was from the 1920s and was about to lose its windows, we were able to see some historic landmarks and practice our Spanish (the tour was in Spanish)!

Yesterday, all of the volunteers went on a tour to a local market for the lower-class. Mary passes this market on her way to volunteering every day, and warned me that it looks scary from the outside. She was right. Although it was one of the most frightening places I have been in my life (people everywhere, meat hanging from the ceiling, children manhandling goats from a rope tied around their necks), it was also an extremely unique experience. I was able to snap some great photographs and learn a lot about Candomble, the Afro-Brazilian voodoo religion.

My Portuguese is slowly but surely improving. I am finally catching on to the pronunciation of words. If someone is speaking slowly enough, I can understand what they are generally saying. I still have no idea how to speak though. Hopefully, a lightbulb will go off in my lessons this week!

Tchao!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, last time Lindsay cried, and this time I did..........the way you described the chaos you face every day made me so sad for these kids.......I know that you understand their behavior is not a reflection on you and the other volunteers, but a reaction to the frustration of their situation........they can't express how they feel with words, so they do it through their actions.......

    And as for you my dear daughter, know that you are making a difference in all of those kids lives every day that you are there.......I hope knowing this makes your time there a bit easier.........love you and admire you more and more with each passing day....mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing! I sent you a few pictures of the massive snow piles here to show the kids. You picked the perfect winter to be in the south! Hope your day today was a bit calmer. Looking forward to the next adventures!
    Love, your "tired of the snow" father!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days working with kids just feels like that...it is the same in my classroom! Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete