Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"It's a Hard Knock Life For Us"

Despite the well known musical Annie, the orphanage I am volunteering in is nothing close to the New York home for children, represented in both the Broadway show and movie. Miss Hannigan does not exist, the children are not doing chores all day long (at least when the volunteers are present), and there are not just girls, but boys as well.

When I first read that I would only be volunteering in the morning, I was a bit concerned that I would not be doing enough or be bored in the afternoons, but both of my theories were inaccurate. The four hours that we volunteer feels like an eternity. Caring for thirty bored children is one of the biggest challenges I have ever faced, and am extremely exhausted by the time that we return back to the volunteer house.

On our first morning, we pulled up to the orphanage after a twenty minute drive, to find ourselves in a poor, but still somewhat safe, area of Salvador. One of the older kids let us in and we entered the world of chaos. There were children running around with no sense of organization. Something they are used to. Something the volunteers were not. Although the mornings are long and tiring, we manage to laugh and have a great time with the kids. I enjoy taking care of the infants the most. I have a very difficult time with the five to ten year olds because of their violent dispositions and of course, the language barrier.

In the afternoons, we always have different activities planned. On Monday, we had a Capoeira lesson. Capoeira is the martial arts, disguised as dance, that the slaves used to practice many years ago. It was extremely difficult for my extremely uncoordinated body! Yesterday, we went on a tour of Pelourinho, which was very informative and fun! I also got to take a lot of cool photographs. Today, we are having a professor from the University of Salvador, to speak to us about the history of Brazil.

This weekend, my friends and I are taking a catamaran to an island called Morro de Sao Paulo, to hang out on the beach and explore.

For those of you without Facebook, here are some photographs for you!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2072406&id=1341960108&l=5a397921d3




Also, I have begun the process of designing a website for my photography! Coming soon...

3 comments:

  1. A good combination of hard work, cultural lessons, exploration and FUN! So far sounds like a good program. it must be hard to deal with children who are so disadvantaged........must make all of you appreciate what you have.

    I am so proud of you for the god work you are doing......it is people like you who can change the world, even if it is just by one child at a time........

    have fun on your trip, and STAY SAFE!

    Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics, you can get a sense of Salvador and very colorful buildings. Ask the policia to pose next time! Is the bicycle hanging there or falling! Sounds like hard work during the mornings but a great learning experience, good job!
    Enjoy the rest of the week and Morro de Sao Paulo. Can't wait to see the website!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The website looks amazing- so professional! I would hire you in a second. Off to Florida with Mike tomorrow to see his Nana :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete