Wednesday, October 27, 2010

When One Door Closes, Another Is Opened.

Here we are...my last day in New Zealand. I wish that I had been warned before I came here that my two months here would go so quickly. It is also good that I have things that I am looking forward to when I return to New Zealand in the future (you probably want to come with me...I know all of the cool places).

This last week went by more quickly then the others. I had three days of school last week, and only two this week. We primarily focused on planting and multiplication/division (in my opinion, six year olds are too young for that. Yesterday, my last day at the school, all 40 kids made me a card, and Tess and Amanda put it together for me! It was the cutest thing ever...they also went around in a circle saying how much they will miss me! I read them the card that I had  written for them, and will definitely have to send them a postcard from the US.

I am going on different tangents here and there, but that probably has something to do with the fact that I have so much to do and don't know where to start today. I have to finish packing, bring my suitcase and laptop to the shipping store, get sunscreen and bug spray for Australia...and I think that is it. I don't really know. Tomorrow I am being picked up at four in the morning to catch a six o'clock flight to Sydney. That should be interesting.

I have many mixed emotions about going to Australia to volunteer with Conservation Volunteers Australia. This program consists of ten volunteers and a group leader. We travel to different conservation programs throughout the greater Sydney area, camping out or staying in hostels. I have no doubt that this program is going to be amazing and teach me a lot, but at the same time, I am going to have to figure out a way to leave behind my New Zealand friends, and make Australian friends. I am so not ready to leave here yet, that I hope my emotions don't get in the way of this. I am volunteering for four weeks, and I am thinking of doing three and going home a week early (surprise)! It would be really nice to have more then 5 days home before I am off again to Costa Rica. I am not going to decide until I get a better feel for the program, although my decision will not be based upon my feelings for CVA.

I forgot! On Tuesday at school, we went to Te Papa, the big museum in Wellington, and saw the Dewali (spelling?) Festival...the Indian Festival of Light. We saw two cool magicians, and amazing musicians and dancers. There is nothing better then to see a child's (particularly those who do not take much of an interest to anything) face after a good magic trick.

Oh, last weekend we saw The Town, which was pretty good if you like gang and robbery movies. Other than that, I can't really think of anything else you don't know about my life...

With that said and done...I'll speak to you from Australia!

Just don't get worried if you don't hear from me because I won't have my computer and I am not sure the next time I will be able to access one.

Some Australian adventures to come!

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read Where in the world is Rachel Hartman, Australia version! Have a blast!
    Love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you! Sorry we missed our chat...talk to you in a month or less. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear all about your new travels. Warm weather awaits you as we all get ready for the cold here. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete