Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Critic's Review

There are two types of people in the world. Exhibit A is the person that reads a great book in one day, even if it is four-hundred pages long. Exhibit B is the person that savors the words on each page and takes between one and two weeks to read a great book, even if it is two-hundred pages long. I am Exhibit B.

These two categories do not just apply to reading books, but to every day life. Am I going to eat my food as fast as I can because it is so delicious, and then regret it because I inhaled it so rapidly that I do not even remember what it tasted like? Or, am I going to eat small pieces of the moist chocolate cake as slowly as I can, to make the most of each bite? I hate to admit it, but when it comes to cake, I will eat it quickly because it is so delicious, and then take another piece and eat it carefully, using my fork to precisely choose my next bite. That is just greed.

I mange to be more reserved when it comes to reading (in comparison to eating scrumptious chocolate cake). I take at least two minutes to read a full page. It is possible that I attained this habit, which has neither positive or negative repercussions, at CITYterm. While studying there, I became so inclined to take in each word as it was a bite of chocolate cake, and savor the meaning and beauty of the flowing of words.

The Art of Racing in the Rain, a book that I have spoken of many posts before this, is one of those books that I am taking my sweet time reading. I have had the book for a little less than two weeks, and I am only on page 148. Some days I take off from reading to let last nights chapter soak in. Some days I read three or four chapters because I am so engulfed by Garth Stein's word choices that I cannot help but to keep the book gripped tightly in my palms.

If you didn't get the point of that whole to do, read the freaking book! I do not want to take all of the credit for the recommendation, so thank my mother, after you read it, the next time you see her.

I am sure you are reading this to hear about my life and my crazy, and sometimes not so smart, stories, so I will not let you down and fill you in!

It is now Sunday morning at eleven. Last night was fun! My friends and I went out for a delicious dinner at Pizzeria Napoli. We all had pizza of course! After coming back home to watch the movie, The Water Horse, which I would never recommend to anyone, no matter what. We then schlepped the two blocks into downtown to find a good bar to celebrate John Lennon's 70th birthday (don't judge), and failed miserably as we always tend to do. People in New Zealand are crazy and do not go out until one in the morning. Us Americans cannot handle such craziness. Also, that is when we went to bed.

Yesterday was also great because I did two things that I wanted to do while I was here. One of them was have a Subway sandwich for lunch. Just kidding, not on my to-do list, but I did it. It was just me and Jeff, and we took the Cable Car to the top of the Botanic Gardens. Neither were as exciting as we had hoped, but it was well worth the few good pictures. After, it was still early so we went to Te Papa. We made it through the five floors that I had not managed to see upon my last visit to the massive museum.

I was hoping that today was going to be nice weather so I could take my friends to the Sanctuary and hike on some of the trails, but it looks as if the skies are about to open up any minute! Today might just be a chill at home day with popcorn and a movie.

I am very excited for this week! I go back to school tomorrow until Wednesday, and then I leave on Thursday morning for my trip with Jeff and Noah to the South Island! On Thursday morning, we are taking the Interislander ferry to Picton, and then a Naked Bus to Nelson. We spend the day and night in Nelson. On Friday, we are venturing to Abel Tasman National Park, right outside of Nelson for some hiking and possibly kayaking! That night will also be spent in Nelson. On Saturday, we get onto the Magic Bus and travel to Greymouth. Sunday we travel again to Franz Josef, which is famous for its glacier hiking! On Monday, we finish the Magic Tour in Queenstown, apparently the coolest city in New Zealand! I only have time to spend one night there, but I will try to see as much as I can in that one day and night! On Tuesday, I leave the guys, and begin my journey back home. They have more time to travel around because they are here for two more months, where as I will only have a week and a half left at that point, unfortunately. I fly to Christchurch for a few hours, because it was four-hundred dollars less to have this layover. I have about eight hours in between my flights, so when I get to the airport, I will see if I can change to an earlier flight because my parents don't want me traveling alone! If not, I can hang out in the airport for a while and catch up on my sleep. This trip is certain to have a bunch of great stories and I cannot wait to share them!

Keep checking for updates and pictures from my adventures!

3 comments:

  1. So you are going on a naked bus, a magic bus and who knows what else! What kind of trip is this, hahahaha!!!!!!
    Have a great time and remember who is sitting on your shoulder :-)
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you love the book......more good ones to come.....also happy you are loving New Zealand, your new friends and all of your adventures! Love, MOM

    Ps your dad is so funny........he is on one shoulder, and I am on the other.....even all of the way around the world, you CANT escape us......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be glad you are and I hope you will remain exhibit B. Savor,Savor, And stay in the moment of now!
    Love the crazy stories...you're weaving the fabic that's called your life.
    Stay safe, make good choices, and mom and dad will have to "deal". We all "deal" with our kids . It's part of the job we signed up for when we became parents. Your adevntures sound fabulous.

    ReplyDelete