Thursday, October 7, 2010

My Week At A Glance

I'm going to be blunt. My life has not been too interesting since my last post. Well, it has been interesting, but not in comparison to the other adventures that I have embarked on.

Let's see...Monday I "Bellbirded" for a while, yes I have turned watching bellbirds into a verb. I still was not feeling great, so the sanctuary let me finish my day at lunchtime. I went to the grocery store for a few things and finally picked up The Art of Racing in the Rain. I started it and could not put it down! I am already on page 110, and for me to read that much so quickly is a miracle! Especially on my own!

Tuesday was spent back at the sanctuary making Weta Hotels again. The kids had a lot of fun. It was a beautiful day outside, so I sat outside for a while and spoke to Brett and Lindsay Szper and Jamie Leslie, all while basking in the strong New Zealand sun! It was great to catch up with everyone. I was also really happy because Jeni came back from Australia! It was nice to not be the only girl in the house any more! We went for Middle Eastern food at a little restaurant called Casablanca down the road. It was pretty good, but I wouldn't be caught dead there ever again.

Wednesday (yesterday) was a new and fantastic experimental activity at the sanctuary! There were four kids, and they were split into teams of two. There were different stations set up in which they were given different bird "beaks" and they had to use chopsticks for example, to catch a piece of flying popcorn. This experiment was to figure out what bird gets certain foods the easiest. After an hour of scientific experimentation, Ian (an American tour guide at the sanctuary) and I had given up on the kids to figure out a conclusion to the hypothesis they never came up with! Oh well...it was fun anyways!

Today, I helped out with the Flex Weaving class. It was great because there were only two kids. I then ran into one of my students, Piper! It was great to see her, she's one of my favorites! She was very happy to work on weaving with me! I learned how to weave a horse tail, a fish, and a more complex flower the last weeks. It was again, a beautiful and warm day, so I brought my camera, and took a two hour walk around the sanctuary to photograph some wildlife. I'll post the pictures on facebook at a later date...facebook was being difficult before. Tonight, a few of us went to the movies to see Dinner for Schmucks...funny at times but I wouldn't recommend it.

Tomorrow is my last day at the sanctuary and I am excited to have one last chance to work with the bellbirds. This weekend is supposed to have nasty weather, so who knows what I will be doing!

More adventures to come :)

2 comments:

  1. Great adventures and so many more to come. I'm reading your updates. Someday i hoe to get to christchruch to visit a friend of mine that as lived there for 15 years. Loves the story about the seals.
    more adventures ahead. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things have calmed down .......this mother can't take too many more adventures......Oh yes, one thing....ARE YOU USING SUN BLOCK???????

    I wouldn't be your mother if I didn't ask....hahaha!

    Love,xoxoxo MOM

    ReplyDelete