Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Country: Part Two

My horrible Wednesday began on Tuesday night...almost immediately after I posted the last entry. I was walking upstairs to my bedroom...and all was well...untill I saw a HUGE spider crawling..or more like running...along the wall and ceiling. It was disgusting..and let me tell you..you have not seen a big spider until you have been to Australia. To put it in perspective, it was the size of a man's hand. I didn't know what else to do but call Jesse out of his room to get the spider. He was hesitant to touch it, so he used a cup to get it outside. After he went back into his room, I found another one crawling in the hall. Cel, the guy from Belgium, thought it would be hilarious to "play" with the spider and hit it with a towel into my room. Jana was brave and removed it for me. I then found a third spider in my room...which Jana again, removed for me. I was so afraid to sleep so I read until I passed out with the lights on. The next morning, I was washing a glass...dropped it..and it broke. I had a hunch that this was not going to be a very good day. I was excited to see that our weeding was alongside a bunch of horses. We got to pet them before we started work which was cool! The second that we got started with our work, I felt a painful bite on my leg. It felt as if a wasp had bitten me. I kept my cool and let Jesse know. I then felt it again and again and again. Jesse laughed with sympathy and told me that I had ants in my pants. Litterally! Jana had gotten bitten too, so we sat on the side for a little with ice to sooth the pain. When we were done with work, we had to climb under a barbed wire fence to get back to the car. Of course, I got a nice big scratch from the fence, ripped my pants, and was bleeding. Since we finished work early, Jesse decided to take us to the Timor Caves. He didn't know exactly where they were on the mountain, so we went for a nice big hike though the bush and up the mountain. As the thunderous clouds rolled in, we decided to give up and head back to the house. On the hike down, I got bitten by more ants. As soon as we reached the bottom, Hannah and I found the cave...on the bottom. At least we got to go in and it was very very cool! The views on the drive to the caves and back were also spectacular. It was beautiful horse country with grassy, green mountains.

The remainder of the time at the Murrurundi House was spiderless, thank god! And yes, we made it safely back to Newcastle. Tomorrow, I am venturing with Hannah, Tom, and Jana to Sydney for two days! I am very excited to be able to explore the city and of course, see Margot on Sunday! Also, I will be home in a week from today! I hope I am not forgetting something, but that is all for now!

Some Sydney adventures to come!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the greatest Challenge trip ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hope the trip this weekend to Sydney makes up for the terrible, horrible, no good, rotten day you had!!

    ReplyDelete