Monday, February 7, 2011

"Because We're Only Human"

A lot has happened since my last post...

I'll start with the volunteer work that I have been doing. Lar Da Crianca, aka the orphanage, has been a lot more calm. Although the kids are still trying to beat the crap out of each other on a daily basis, they have begun to listen to Eric, Emanne, and myself. I am often asked to stay in the babies room and tend to them, which is great! I love taking care of them, except when they are crying (which happens to be most of the time), but their cuteness makes it easy to forgive them. I think that after four weeks, Eric and I have finally figured out how to handle them. And when they don't listen? I tell them that they will not be able to listen to 50 Cent the next day. They stop whatever they are doing very very quickly. I guess that is a form of positive reinforcement? I also bought them a new toy that I felt was very appropriate and they reciprocated just as I thought. I bought them a blow up punching doll (that is the best way I can describe it). They, for once, beat the shit out of the toy, rather than each other. Despite my amusement, it was taken away by the caretakers and is now M.I.A. 

Last Wednesday was another festival here in Salvador. Iemanja, the Candomble warship of the god of the sea, was a really unique experience. Vini dropped us off in Rio Vermhelo (Red River), a nice beach area in Salvador, and we began the short walk to the Candomble House. People were dressed in all white and were carrying gifts to set into the ocean (to clarify, some people throw the gifts into the ocean themselves, while others give them to fisherman who then bring the gifts out to sea later in the day). Like all festivals in Salvador, there was plenty of music, dancing and beer. I got some great photographs, and I will put them on Facebook as soon as possible. 

After the festival, we relaxed and then made our way to the beach near our house, Praia de Barra, to watch the sunset. It was beautiful and everyone even clapped as we saw the final moments of the sun for the day. 

This weekend was also quite exciting. Mary and I left the house Saturday afternoon for the Pestana Bahia Hotel and Resort in Rio Vermhelo. We put our bags down in our beautiful room (with air conditioning and a huge bed...this is a big deal for us...especially after living without either of those things for four weeks), and made our way to the gorgeous pool that over looked into the ocean. Did I mention that our room was ocean front with a balcony? We ordered room service for dinner and made our way to the Festival De Verao, the summer music festival in Salvador. Although it is three nights, we only went for one. Mary and I were so excited because Jason Mraz was headlining and we managed to get VIP tickets. We soon found out that so did thousands of other people, but it was well worth it. I pushed our way through the mass of people, front and center. It was amazing to be so close in a concert even though we were getting so many dirty looks from the locals. After exiting the crowd, we were drenched in sweat and desperate for water. We also managed to find some New York style Pizza. Our next mission, finding a taxi. Mary and I always tend to struggle with this simple task, and to nobody's surprise, did exactly that. After asking about ten police officers where we could find a taxi, we were out of the festival gates and on a dark sketchy road. I am never scared, and was terrified. All men sitting outside of their cars with beers. We practically ran until we found a taxi. We also saw two other girls walking in the opposite direction, who looked even more terrified then we did. We picked a great taxi. He spoke spanglishportuguese. He also played some great music for us and gave us his number so we can call him the next time we need a taxi. Everything had gone so well, I knew this wasn't right. When we walked into the hotel room, Mary informed me that I had sat in gum. Yes, gum. I spent about an hour yesterday using hairspray and water to successfully remove it.

Begin Tangent: Jason Mraz was amazing! He is so so so talented. I loved hearing him play even though his set-list sucked. We also made a lot of friends. The Brazilians thought it was hilarious that I knew all of the words to one of Jason's (yes we are on a first name basis) songs that is basically like a rap (The Dynamo of Volition). When we ordered room service, not only did it take an hour, but there was ham on my grilled cheese. Normal. Oh, also, at one point during the concert, my leg was bleeding. Don't know how that happened or why, but it was. We also couldn't find a band aid because we can't speak Portuguese. End Tangent.

Yesterday, we woke up in the hotel ready for a good breakfast. We went to the buffet and enjoyed a great meal before heading to the pool. The pool was great until I got in the shower at the hotel before heading back to the house. I got so burnt. I'm not even going to beat around the bush. Like, red. Vini called me a strawberry today. The kids were pinching me and feeling the warmth of my skin for about an hour today. 

But hey, like Jason Mraz always says (and apparently starts his concerts with this...), "We're only human." Despite all of my little misfortunes, I had a great weekend! 






2 comments:

  1. This blog made me laugh! A blow up punching doll and strawberry's all in a week! The doll, as I was told, was given to the fisherman for a gift to the sea by the house rangers (aka - caretakers)!!!!
    The part that didn't make me laugh was the adventure of Rachel and Mary in the parking lot. You girls need to take some big body guards with you next time to scare the other dudes!
    The hotel picture looks great and concert picture is very good! Hope you did have something to eat at the hotel!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, Rachel, Rachel........if you keep telling me about these " sketchy" places and difficulties in finding taxis, I may just have to hire you a private body guard/ driver..........don't worry, I promise he will be cute!

    Glad you had fun, and missing you as much as ever! Xox mom

    ReplyDelete